Sunday, March 10, 2013

Nopales Enchiladas with Tomatillo Sauce












Nopales Enchilada with Tomatillo Sauce
This was an amazing meal!  I bought nopales at the grocery store--the flat piece of a prickly pear cactus--already dethorned and sliced into strips.  All I had to do was cook and eat them.  I parboiled them in a pan with an inch or so of water, then put them aside until the tomatillo sauce was ready and I could assemble the enchiladas.
The sauce is amazing.  Take 10 or so fresh tomatillos, 2-4 Jalapeno or Serrano peppers, and put them into an oven-proof skillet.  Put them under the broiler until they are blackened, like in my picture above.  Then run them through the blender and liquify them.  Pour into a pot with 4-6 cups of vegetable broth, bring to a boil, add salt to taste, and it is ready.
Dip 1 or 2 corn tortillas at a time into the hot tomatillo sauce and leave for 20-30 seconds.  Pull out and lay on a plate, fill with nopales and mushrooms (or whatever you like), roll and smother in Tomatillo Sauce.
I like to put fresh cilantro on top, too.  Yummy!!

No comments:

Post a Comment