Wednesday, December 26, 2012

Split Pea Soup

Split Pea Soup

Today the weather actually got cold—it was 25F when I woke up around 8:30 this morning.  Very nice!  So I pulled out the cold weather food, finally.  Tonight we ate split pea soup with toasted ciabatta bread.  It was just the thing to warm everyone up.

Here is the recipe:

1 pound of dried split green peas
8 cups of water
3 vegetable bouillon cubes
1 bay leaf
1 large onion, diced
1 or 2 carrots sliced into rounds
1 spoonful of diced garlic (I use the kind in a jar)

Put everything into a pressure cooker, bring to pressure, and cook for 10 minutes.  Or use a pot on the stove top and cook for 1 hour.  A crock pot will work too, but cook for 2-3 hours on high.  (Every crock pot is different, so you will need to check on occasion to see how it is doing.  My old one would have cooked all day on low and the beans would have been perfect, but my new one would have boiled off the water and ruined the dinner if I cooked it for that long on low.)

After the beans are done and soft, add 1/8 teaspoon liquid smoke for that ham flavor.  Salt and pepper to taste and then serve.

Keep warm!

No comments:

Post a Comment