Thursday, June 19, 2014

Smoky Black Bean Enchiladas and Vegan Queso

Someone let me know that the Happy Herbivore’s cookbooks were on sale as a Kindle purchase for $2.99 each—so I bought the 4 that were that cheap.  

Last night I made Smoky Black Bean Enchiladas.  I have made a similar recipe in the past and really enjoyed it, but in her cookbook there was an enchilada sauce recipe.  Now I live in Texas and I know Mexican food; I make my own red and green enchilada sauces and they are wonderful, if I do say so myself. :)  So I tried the red sauce in her book and it really is good.  She uses a bit of cocoa powder in it, so it has a reminiscence of a mole, but really did taste good.  I put the leftover sauce into a Mason jar and have it for leftovers now.  

I also made a vegan Queso sauce.  This one uses cashews, as do a lot of the fake cheese sauces that I see, and as usual, it tasted too much of cashews last night; but I just put some on my leftovers and it is really good now.  I made the sauce and then dumped in a can of mild Rotel tomatoes and green chilies.  Leftovers also went into a Mason jar.

 



The smokey part of the enchiladas is from 1 teaspoon of liquid smoke, so you could use whatever kind of filling you like and just add that.  I didn’t think it would be very good, but I was so very wrong.

You can see from the top picture that I did not bother to roll out each enchilada, rather, I made it casserole style.  I am all for quick and easy!

No comments:

Post a Comment