Sunday, January 6, 2013

Vegan Manicotti



Manicotti

I made manicotti tonight instead of the Tamale Bites I had planned on…oh well, this looks great, too!  The first picture is what it looked like as I was covering the manicotti with sauce; I left two uncovered for the picture so you could see what they should look like.  I started out stuffing the pasta with a small spoon, but that was taking a lot of time, so I ended up using my fingers to stuff them.  It was easy and quick that way.

I looked at several recipes online and ended up making my own, loosely based on what I saw.

1 box firm Mori-Nu tofu
1 cup mashed potatoes
1/2 t. sea salt
1/2 t. freshly ground black pepper
1 t. dried and crushed basil
1/2 t. garlic powder
1/4 cup nutritional yeast
1 cup frozen spinach from a bag
1 box of 14 manicotti shells
_____________________________________
Sauce:
1 32 ounce can of tomato sauce
1 rounded teaspoon chopped garlic
1/4 cup red wine
1/2 teaspoon sea salt
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
1 teaspoon oregano and basil mixed
Stir these together.
__________________________________
Instructions:
Preheat oven to 350F.
Mash the first 8 ingredients and mix together well.  Then stuff into the uncooked manicotti shells.  Lay them in a 9X13 casserole dish.  Then pour the sauce on top of the stuffed shells.  Cover with foil or with a lid and bake in oven for about 45 minutes.  Check the pasta to see if it is finished; if so, sprinkle fresh parsley on top and serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment